Papua New Guinea
AMR Governance Structure
National Antimicrobial Resistance Steering Committee
Contributing Ministries: National Department of Health; Department of Agriculture and Livestock; and Department of Environment and Conservation
AMR Action Plan
Papua New Guinea developed a multisectoral National Action Plan (NAP) on Antimicrobial Resistance (2017- 2020). The NAP was a joint effort by the National Department of Health, Department of Agriculture and Livestock and the Department of Environment and Conservation. It was launched in August 2019. The NAP has five objectives, with indicative strategies, for implementation:
- Objective 1. Establish and ensure governance, sustainable investment and actions to combat antimicrobial resistance.
- Objective 2. Improve awareness and understanding of antimicrobial resistance through effective communication, education and training.
- Objective 3. Strengthen surveillance, diagnostic capacity and research on AMR.
- Objective 4. Strengthen sanitation, hygiene and infection prevention and control across all sectors.
- Objective 5. Strengthen appropriate access and optimise the use of antimicrobial medicines in all sectors.